My Favorites

Monday, June 17, 2019

A Difficult Decision

He inspired
 Today I have made one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made.  I've made this decision before and it is always difficult, but this one has been the most difficult.  Saying Goodbye to a very special companion.  Bo, my black lab mix.  All of our dogs have been "ours" except Bo, he is mine.  His story is sweet and loving from its start.

Our neighbor's dog had puppies.  Of course, I would go over and visit the litter a few times.  I noticed there was one puppy that would always come to me immediately, chew on my shoe strings, beg to be held.  After one of my visits I went home and asked my husband how he would feel about another dog (we had two at the time).  He said that would be ok with him and he would check with the neighbors to see if the puppy (they called him Two Stripes) was available.  When he returned he said the puppy had been adopted and was going to a good family.  I was a little sad, but as long as he was going to a good home I couldn't feel to bad.

On the evening of my Birthday, which was just three days after the news that Two Strips had been adopted,  the doorbell rang.  I opened the door to find  Two Stripes sitting on the front porch with a red bandana around his neck as my hubby said "Happy Birthday".  That's how Bo became "my dog".  He had picked me from the beginning and he was a loving gift.   Bo,  also became our "front door" dog.  No matter where he was or what door you let him out, he always came home to the front door.
Tall dog. In his prime Bo weighted 110 lbs. and was always thin.


Bo loved my hubby and son, and would mind them most of the time, but frequently I would hear, "Come get your dog".  I was the one Bo would listen to and obey.  He was my dog in all aspects and I have said many times that I have never had a dog love me so much.  He was devoted to me 24/7.
Bo, also, loved our acreage.  Our entire time living on the acreage, he would make his morning rounds, visit his Mom then return home.  He enjoyed his freedom. 


Bo was starting to have some trouble getting up and down before we decided to downsize and move to a smaller place.  We were concerned how he would take to the new place and a fenced yard.  He adjusted well.  His days of exploring had already narrowed, so I think the fenced yard really appealed to him.   But as the months have gone by his mobility has declined.  The vet says he is loosing his muscle mass and becoming weaker.  His struggles to stand and sit are becoming more and more difficult.  I can see it in his eyes, he's tired.  So it is time. 


My big dog had a wonderful life of 13 years.  He gave so much to all of us, unconditional love in good and bad times.   He allowed our grandson to crawl all over him, sit on him like a horse.   He tolerated a barn cat who made our deck her home for years.  He was a great protector, offering strangers a big bark to beware, but never approaching them.  He always left them wondering, which makes a good guard dog.   Bo was a true gentle giant that I will miss greatly.  

Gentle Giant


4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss.

    Having been through the same thing 3 times in the last 4 years I understand how you are feeling.

    Sending hugs and prayers for comfort to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house seems very quiet today. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  2. So very sorry on the loss of your dear friend. 💔

    ReplyDelete