My Favorites

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Life is a Patchwork

First photo posted August, 2009
I started this little blog in 2009.  I wanted to keep a journal of all my quilting activities.  I've done that and continue to do that, but things have changed in 10 years.  Besides being older.  I'm having to reinvent myself.  Ever been in that position?
Hubby and I both retired months apart in 2007.  Did some traveling, enjoyed meals out with friends, shopping, evenings at the theater.  Just nice retirement activity.  But, it doesn't last forever and life is a patchwork of ever changing parts .

In 2014 our Grandson Short Stuff was born.  Our first and probably our only.  We were so very excited and of course he is wonderful.  We baby sat a lot.  In fact, at times he was with us more than his parents.  His parents were trying to make a go of this new family and they were both struggling.  So, Hubby and I stepped in whenever we were needed to take some of the pressure off his parents.  But, as time went by we noticed that the new family was not doing well.  Our life started to center round Short Stuff more and more.  The new family did not make it and in 2017 Mom and Dad shared joint custody.  Which really meant when Short Stuff was with Dad (our son), he really was with us.  Dad was trying to start his own business and was always on the job. We worked out an arrangement. Hubby and I took on the role of substitute parents.

As time went by and our home started to become to large, the upkeep just to much.  We decided to downsize.  Was that ever a job.  You can check it out in my earlier posts starting around February 2019.  We are now located in a smaller 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch with a privacy fence yard (which the dog loves).  The place is just easy.  Easy is what we all need now.  As our life style changed dramatically in June of this year.  After a long illness our Grandson's Mother passed away.  It was a shock to everyone.  Now our son has total custody of Short Stuff and they have moved into our little 3 bedroom ranch.  Even though our larger house in the woods would have been more spacious for 2 families, we did not have the access to the many activities a growing child needs.  Short Stuff is now able to play with the neighborhood children, walk to the bus stop and enjoy soccer, swimming and T-ball easily.

Life for me has changed.  I'm now a Mom again.  The everyday schedule and activities for Short Stuff is left up to me.  Arthritis has crept into my life these last 10 years, but running after a 5 year old keeps the old joints moving--sore, but moving.

 Familypatchworks has now taken on a new meaning.  Oh, I'm still quilting, but now I'm reworking myself and this little blog/journal.  So expect to see more conversation about raising a Grandchild, easy kid friendly meals, play dates, and living a not so quiet life after the age of 70.  Our family is a true patchwork of change and adjustments.   Familypatchwork Happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment