My Favorites

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Pocket Prayer Quilt


I made this little pocket prayer flag for my son, when his son was headed to Chicago for surgery.  It was about 1 1/2" square and perfect for him to just hold on to when he needed calm and comfort.  I got to thinking about that little flag and wondered what a pocket prayer quilt would be like.  I'm not the only one who had thought of this idea of a little prayer quilt--Pintrest is loaded with ideas and cards of reassurance to accompany the little quilts.


Today I made my first pocket prayer quilt.  It is an old cutter quilt that I chopped into a 3 1/2 x 3 inch square.  I added stitches along the side to form a type of binding.  Then with embroidery thread created a little dove and a rainbow of color on and though a little piece of  vintage lace.  As I was working on this one, more ideas popped into my head.  And what a great take along.

With each little quilt I would suggest a personal note, scripture or a clever poem.  I don't know the authors of the following, but here are some that were on Pinterest.

"Lay this softly upon your palm, 
Feel God's Grace, His Love, His Calm
Lift your cares and joys in prayer,
Drawing Piece from this little square.
May the Lord Bless You"   
author unknown

"As you carry this prayer square,
May you be surrounded by God's Love.
May he walk before you to guide you.
Beside you to give you courage.
Behind you to keep you safe.
Beneath you to give you strength.
Above you for blessing
Within you to give you His peace."

"This Pocket prayer Quilt was made especially for you
to slip into your pocket or purse.
Throughout the day as your fingers touch the heart
that is tucked inside, be mindful that god is with you 
and caring people are praying for you."

Keep it as a reminder of God's peace or pass it along 
as a little gift to someone in need of comfort and care

"Do not be afraid--I am with you!
I am your God--let nothing terrify you!
I will make you strong and help you;
I will protect you and save you"
    Isaiah 41:10

"Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you.
I do not give it as the world does.  Do no be worried and upset; do not be afraid."
    John 14: 27




 This one will be in my shop "patchworks" today.
                     Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment