My Favorites

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Making Prayer Flags


It seems like every time the phone rings we are hearing sad news from friends and family.  Life goes along peacefully for many months---even years---and then the phone rings.  We have had deaths, major surgeries, life changing diagnosis and life changing events occurring within our family and our circle of friends this past month.  I have made and mailed three Prayer Flags just this week.

2000 years Prayer Flags were made by the native peoples of Tibet to spread blessing and prayers on the wind to the nature god Bon.  They are never hemmed so that as they fray the prayers will be spread far and wide.  As Prayer Flags  deteriorate a new flag can be placed over the old one or the old one should be burned in respect for the prayers and blessings it has spread.  Today, they are still being made to spread blessing on the wind.  

I don't have pictures of the Prayer Flags I made this week, but this little AAQI quilt from the past is a good example of what they can look like or they can be a simple single piece of fabric with words or a prayer you wish for them to spread.  A quick search of the web images can give you a good idea of what you can make to send to a family member or friend who is going through a difficult time. 

I noticed that this is my post #501.  Things have changed since I started this journey in quilting.  AAQI is in its final year.  I'm no longer making mini quilts for Alzheimer's, but I'm still using vintage fabrics to make little art quilts, mug mats and venturing out into larger quilting projects.  How has your quilting changed over the years?  Have a happy Thursday and as always, Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment