My Favorites

Friday, January 10, 2020

How Do You Fix a Quilt Top??



How do you fix a quilt top?  Well, I'll find out.  I saw this colorful quilt top for sale and thought what a great top for my Lydia Circle to quilt.  Everyone loved it.  We were all very excited to put it in the frame and get started.  The goal is to complete it for our November 2020 Annual Silent Auction.

The plan didn't go well.  The quilt top puckered something awful.  The two borders were fighting with the blocks and the blocks had puckers all over.

A quilting friend and I are going to tackle fixing the top so that we may be able to get it in that frame.  Elaine had removed the two borders and had the quilt on a table when I arrived at church on Wednesday.  After we looked closely at the top, it became clear that we would have to take the top apart and address each block and individual problems.  Taking the top apart was easy and we soon discovered that #1 the blocks were not square.  We have a concern about the piecing of the blocks, but decided to do some heavy duty pressing and evaluate as we go.  Tuesday (our regular quilting day) Elaine and I will pack a sack lunch and stay later to work on fixing the top.

The colors and fabrics are so delightful in this quilt and the pattern so unusual we feel it will be a good offering for our Silent Auction.  We have time to get it ready-- wish us luck, I will keep you all posted and as always
 Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. I imagine you have discovered why the original maker never finished this quilt. How wonderful that you are going to "heal" it and help it give joy to its new owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I'll let you know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if you were to use a double batting if that would help fill in some of that fullness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, I had not thought of double batting. I'll keep that in mind in case our idea doesn't work. I'll let you know what happens.

      Delete