My Favorites

Friday, October 25, 2019

Memories in a Basket


Since we have made our downsizing move, I'm going through boxes and making even more decisions about what stays and where I'm going to put it.  I opened up my boxes of quilts.  I have a small collection, mostly family quilts from my Grandmother and Mother.  This Double Wedding Ring was made by my Grandmother in the early 1950's.  The quilt is 90% feed sack and was used and much loved.  It had been packed away for years and I decided to give it one more bath and then do some much needed repair.
Some of the pieces need to be completely replaced.



While others just need a few stitches.


The binding is in terrible shape so I will rebind the entire quilt.


 The really great thing about this quilt is that it has so many memories.  The feed sack fabric used in the quilt was also used to make aprons, and most importantly doll clothes.  My Grandmother made me the greatest doll clothes and they were all from feed sack.

My grandparents lived on a farm and I was raised a city girl.  Going to the farm was just wonderful for me.  I always said I was blessed with the love of the city and the country.  I would spend 2 wonderful weeks with them every summer, Christmas was always at the farm.  Besides the Spring and Fall weekend trips.   It was great.  Anyway, the dolls clothes were so special.  Working on this quilt is going to be a real treat.  To stitch were my Grandmother stitched so many years ago.  I have some feed sack which I will use where I can and the remainder I will try to add muted fabrics to blend with the aged feed sack.  The quilt is for my family to cherish and my grandson loves my quilting so the story of this old Double Wedding Ring will be handed down to him.

I plan to add a detailed label to all the quilts in my collection, so Parker will have the history.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.  I'll be working on this heirloom and checking out the great quilts at Off the Wall Fridays and Whoop Whoop Fridays.   Happy Quilting! 












6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of repairing and continuing to use and have something like this with so many memories! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have found a bag of scrap feed sack prints. That will help in the process.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful way to preserve those memories. I sure your grandmother would approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm looking forward to the process.

      Delete
  3. What lovely memories, enjoy the reminiscing while repairing the old quilt. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete