My Favorites

Friday, May 13, 2016

It's For Sale

Sometimes it's hard to let go of a project, but it's time for me to do some quilting house cleaning.


I made this quilt in 2014 for the Notable Women Quilt Initiative.  The quilt was accepted and toured the Northwestern Unites States from March 2014 to July 2015.  Entitled--Still Saving Lives-Clara Barton.  I tried to think of a person whose good work is continuing today.  The American Red Cross has had a global impact on so many lives, thus my choice of Clara Barton seemed fitting.  She began her quest to help others during the Civil War.  She would tear cloth for bandages and tend to the soldiers on the battlefield.

To represent her beginnings---I tore all the fabric used in this quilt.  The large cross is filled with smaller torn crosses from various fabrics.  The crosses are attached to the quilt with hand stitching, which allows the raw edges to turn and ravel with the natural makeup of the fabric.  The sheer fabric is stenciled with a slight tilt to represent the drops of blood the American Red Cross has provided to save the lives of so many.  The quilt is both machine and hand quilted using silk and cotton perle threads.  I love projects and this was a fun quilt to make. But, it is now time for it to move on.  I always felt it would be nice hanging in an American Red Cross office somewhere.  Maybe it will??
Check out the other wonderful quilts at Off The Wall Fridays and have a wonderful weekend.  Happy Quilting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment