My Favorites

Monday, September 10, 2012

Much Loved and In Disrepair

It's hard for me to walk by a quilt without wanting to touch the fabrics, look at the workmanship and wonder "What is it's story".  A few weeks ago, I came upon a quilt draped over a railing at an estate sale.  It was bright in color, but in sad shape.  Pieces were frayed, some totally missing.  But the bones of the quilt were in good condition.  The quilt looked old and tired, it had been used and washed many times.  This was a well loved quilt.
 I have a collection of quilts all over the house.  Some are folded on bookshelves.

Some are in baskets.
On the back of chairs.
Or hanging on a antique drying rack.
Most made by my Mom or Grandmother.  Some have been collected from estate sales at old family farms in our area, at tag sales, or a country auction.  But, all have been loved, and all have a story.  I just couldn't pass up this little yellow quilt.  So she is now home, slowly being repaired.  Last night, as I was stitching together frayed seams, I couldn't help but think of the Velveteen Rabbit.  You become real when you are truly loved.  This little yellow quilt is like the Velveteen Rabbit and I hope to put her together again to continue her journey and give comfort and love to another.  Wishes for a great Monday and Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment