My Favorites

Monday, May 21, 2012

New to Me

For the past few years I have been wanting to improve on my free motion quilting attempts.  I have a bottom of the line New Home machine and I try to free motion with her, but no real luck.  I know that free motion takes practice, but I was always unable to control the stitch length and would become discouraged.  So I decided that if I would ever get the opportunity I would upgrade my machine, just to free motion quilt.  Well, this past summer the opportunity became available to me.  In the form of a Bernina 830.

She is beautiful---in her previous life she was used by a dressmaker and did very little quilting.  I read through the owner's manual and set her up with her darning needle, lowered the feed dogs and we were ready.  The difference was unbelievable.  Oh, I still need to practice and I do, but she does a wonderful job even for a real beginner.  There is a weight, which adds control  that is not in my little New Home.  So, I set up the New Home for piecing and general stitching.  The Bernina is set up for quilting.  I read a sewing machine review and it said if there was a Sewing Machine Hall of Fame the Bernina 830 would be one of the first inductees.  I agree, this is a great little machine.  We're going to have a good time together.  Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment