My Favorites

Monday, October 10, 2011

Virtual Retreat

Last week I participated in a Virtual Quilting Retreat. Members of the Lib-Quilters Group at Yahoo spent four days quilting as if on a retreat via cyberspace.  We had guide lines for this retreat.  Make a miniature quilt, no larger than 20 inches and get our inspiration from an Amish, Gees Bend, or Gwen Marston quilts.  Make it ours with no embellishments, applique, embroidery etc., just a plain mini liberated quilt.  I completed two AAQI size quilts.  I put away all my quilting tools except for scissors, machine and thread.  My first quilt I call Gees Bend Summer.

It measures 7 1/2 x 11 1/4 inches and started with the black and pink stripe fabric.  I then found some corresponding fabrics and just started playing with shapes and stitching.  I used pink thread for the hand quilting and made lines of quilting that corresponded with the quilt.  The second quilt I call Gees Bend Christmas.

This one is 7 1/2 x 8 inches.  My inspiration fabric was the red sparkle fabric that is the center of the Liberated Log Cabin block.  I then added the Christmas color.  As I look at this little quilt I can see a Log Cabin block and a Housetop block.  That's what fun about liberated quilting---you're free to do as you please.  This mini has more hand quilting that follows the individual pieces of this little quilt.  I plan to make more of these little liberated mini quilts.  Try one yourself---it's fun.  Happy Quilting!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved that you posted on this, Jan! I had fun sewing each of our retreat days, myself and still haven't shown any photos..so good for you!!! You are a lovely quilter and a fabulous quilt donator!!!!

    ReplyDelete