My Favorites

Friday, October 22, 2010

Cecelia's Quilt Before & After

A few months ago I told the story of Cecelia's Quilt. My friend was ill and I was working and not able to spend time with her---so I quickly made this little quilt to give her comfort. I viewed the quilt as quite ugly, but she loved it and it did give her comfort. As you can see it is tied because I didn't have time to quilt it and it was one of the first quilts I ever made. Anyway, I wanted to give it a little pick me up. I tried to do that with the addition of a little applique. Cecelia enjoys her cat Lola and so I decided to make cats my applique theme.

I enlarged the cat silhouettes from clip art, so they are in keeping with the size of the quilt. Each cat is between 8 and 10 inches tall. I hand appliqued the silhouettes of the cats meandering around the quilt, then using a very small blind stitch outlined the cats again. I did this because I know the quilt will be well used and go through many washings. Cecelia did get better from her illness and is now on vacation with her grandchildren, when she returns her quilt will be wrapped with a bow ready for use this winter. Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment