My Favorites

Monday, June 21, 2010

New Addition


This weekend I've been playing with my new, but old addition to my sewing family. A friend of mine has had this machine for years, it belonged to her aunt and had just been sitting in her basement. When she first showed it to me (two years ago) it almost took my breath away---the machine is perfect---complete with carrying case, attachments, booklets and sews like a dream. After much consideration as to what I could pay---I brought the little Singer Featherweight home on Friday. I'm using her (she seems like a her to me) upstairs in the great room area of our home. It's wonderful---I can now sew on a machine while being with the family. My sewing room is on the lower level of our home and I'm always so isolated when I work there. Of course, sometimes being isolated is what I need, but my little Featherweight is just perfect for putting me back into the family mix when my projects allow that. The Featherweight is so quiet, no one even knows I'm sewing. After some investigation using her model and serial number I found out my new toy was actually built between 1938 and 1940.

I've started a little free form project using different weights of fabrics. This project is a break from my usual techniques, but it will allow me to see how the Featherweight handles different fabrics---so far so good. Another thing I've noticed about the machine is that since she is so light weight---I can clean up my projects in seconds. Can you tell I'm in love?

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new, but old little machine! I love mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! My hubby bought me a Featherweight 5 years ago, as a surprise. I think mine dates about the same as yours. So they could be sisters :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I piece all my quilts using my featherweight, right up to king size.
    Are you aware of the yahoo group specifically for featherweight enthusiats. All kinds of great information.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/featherweight/
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great information! Thanks so much. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a find. Hope you have many years of enjoyment.

    Blessings,
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete