My Favorites

Monday, May 17, 2010

It's In The Mail



I decided to step out of my comfort zone with this 16 x 16 inch quilt. I have entered the Alliance for American Quilts 2010 "New from Old" contest. The Alliance for American Quilts documents, preserves and shares the American quilt. They offer this contest as a means to raise money toward support for their mission. All the quilts will be auctioned on eBay from November 8- December 6, 2010. Entries must be postmarked by May, 31----mine is in the mail today. The entries will be posted on line at http://www.allianceforamericanquilts.org/ and AAQ members will vote for the winners from June 14-18. The quilts will then travel to two venues: National Quilting Association's show in Columbus, Ohio, June 17-19 and American Quilter's Society Show in Knoxville, Tennessee, July 14-17, before they are auctioned on eBay.


My entry is entitled Bridal Bouquet Bling. I embellished a 1930's Bridal Bouquet block with vintage tatting and modern day beads---to give the old feed sack fabric some sparkle. I then hand quilted the piece to compliment the original hand pieced block. This little quilt allowed me to explore outside of me usual comfortable quilting thoughts and I'm ready to expand to another project larger than 9 x 12 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment