My Favorites

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Windy City Get-a-way

Just returned from a wonderful Chicago Get-a-way. Bill and I left Sunday on Amtrak, bound for Downtown Chicago. If you haven't ridden a train lately, check it out. Both of us agreed it had changed greatly since our days of riding when we were young (many decades ago). While in Chicago taxi cabs and feet were are means of travel. Cab rides in Chicago are interesting. After window shopping on the Magnificent Mile, we enjoyed dinner at Timothy O'Toole's. Great little pub/sports bar, with an"old Chicago" feel.



Monday was our day for museums. Harry Potter Exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry and then on to Shedd Aquarium. Harry Potter was a great display of the movie props and wardrobe. It amazed me how different things look up close, compared to the movies. Set designers work wonders. Shedd Aquarium was wonderful as always, I especially liked the coral reef area and a very active River Otter. We headed home on Tuesday.


The trip, of course, included a quilting project. I started "loving hearts", a little 9-patch mini quilt. This mini quilt 's base is a vintage 9-patch that had been hand pieced. The 9-patch came from a box of fabric I bought at a farm auction. To it I appliqued hearts from homespun fabric I had made and machine appliqued on to a 4 x 4 inch square. I cut apart the square and appliqued the hearts I needed for this project.




I located a oak leaf print from my vintage scrap fabric collection to add as an accent in the 9-patch. Still under construction.





























No comments:

Post a Comment