My Favorites

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Where Does It All Come From--part 1

Where does it all come from????  The downsizing process started at our house.  The starting point was the garage.  The storage spot of things I have no clue about.  I had packed up the items I knew--toys no longer used, decorations long forgotten and stuff I could box from the house that I no longer needed.  The rest belongs to hubby and son.  Here is where the story gets difficult.

Son is a hands on guy and for the past four years he has rented shop space for his stuff and to work from for his little business.  The owner of the property has decided to move in a different direction and is no longer going to rent space.  Can you guess where son's stuff is going?  Right--our garage!  Now mind you this is in the middle of the great downsizing project.  Hubby and I are rethinking the actual move portion of the downsizing, but the downsizing is still in full swing--those plans have not changed.  Our plans were to have the house ready for sale in the Spring.  We have some time to figure out exactly what we are going to do.

Back to the garage.  Son helped, a little, on the loading of unused items or duplicate items that will occur when all of his stuff arrives at the garage.  Hubby, helped a little-not much-on the decision making on what goes, but basically left it to me. Yesterday, the Auction Company came to load up the garage and they were "grumpy".  We have dealt with this Auction Company for years, through our collectibles business.  The woman owner has always been the pleasant one to communicate with, her hubby another story.  They are use to me being organized and have everything boxed and ready to go.  This trip was different, not as organized as they expected.

Both of my guys were gone--working.  So here I am trying to get as much on the truck as possible.  Multiple phone calls to the Son and Hubby to ask if this goes or that goes.  Son was saying get rid of everything because he has duplicates and "Dad doesn't use it anyway." and Hubby saying, "I hope you didn't sell...".

So I made the decisions with the mind set of --if the item is so wonderful, we'll just use the auction proceeds to buy another one.  Maybe not the best attitude in the world, but from my point of view the guys should have been more helpful and boxed up stuff when I asked multiple times before the Auction Company load up day.

We have an extremely large garage--oversized three-car.  Surly enough room for Son's stuff.    There is one positive note.  Son is bringing cabinets to hang on the walls.  I like that idea, as it will free up floor space and hide his stuff.

I just want it neat and tidy with room for one car.  I hope I'm not dreaming!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment